Students get the chance to produce a variety of music programing at
at Marietta College began in the 1920's with station WBAW, which was
operated as an experiment by the college physics department. During
those early years the College offered courses for credit via radio
and conducted experiments in the new technology of that time. These
broadcasts were suspended in the thirties, and broadcasting was not
revived at MC until the 1950's.
In 1960, under the leadership of Dr. Bernard Russi of the Speech Department,
the campus broadcasting program was revived under the FCC's noncommercial
FM broadcasting rules. These rules allowed small colleges such as
Marietta to operate a small (10-watt) FM station within a very relaxed
regulatory structure. That station continues operating today as WCMO-FM,
serving the campus community with limited programming.
In 1975, Marietta College constructed and began operating a much larger
station (9200 watts) under the call WMRT-FM. Along with the increase
in transmitter power, a commitment was made to year-round operation
of the radio service and an expansion of program offerings to include
more informational programs, and jazz music. WMRT has grown steadily
since that time, with the addition of a 24 hour broadcast schedule
beginning in December of 1999.